Chicken Pot Pie (make one freeze one, with vegetarian version)
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled anc cut into 1in pieces
- 3 medium carrots, cut into 1in pieces
- 1 medium onion
- 1 rib of celery
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 6 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken (or veg broth for veg version)
- 4 cups cooked chicken meat, shredded or cubed (or Morning Star Chik’n Strips, cooked and cubed)
- ⅔ cups frozen peas
- ½ cup plus 1 Tbsp heavy cream, divided
- 1 Tbsp minced parsley
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 1 package (15 oz) refrigerated pie pastry
- 1 egg
- In a large pot, add butter, oil , potatoes carrots, onion and celery.
- Saute until tender.
- Stir in flour until blended.
- Gradually add broth.Bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in peas, ½ cup cream parsely, garlic salt and pepper.
- Stir in chicken (or fake chik’n).
- Spoon into two ungreased 9 in pie plates.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg and 1 Tbsp or cream, set aside.
- Roll out the pastry to fit the top of each pie. Place over filling and trim, seal and flute edges.Cut slits in pasty to vent.
- Brush top of pies with egg mixture. Bake at 375 for 40-45 minutes or until golden. Let stand for 10 mins before cutting.
NOTE: You can bake both pies, or cover and freeze one potpie for up to 3 months. To use frozen potpie, remove from the freezer 30 minutes before baking. Cover pie loosely with foil. Place on a baking sheet. Bake at 425 for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 350, remove foil. Bake 55-60 minutes longer or until golden brown.